A mouthguard is a flexible appliance that is worn in athletic and recreational activities to protect teeth from trauma.
IN WHAT SPORTS SHOULD I WEAR A MOUTHGUARD?
It’s advisable to wear a mouthguard if Patients participate in basketball, softball, baseball, boxing, wrestling, martial arts, soccer, in-line skating, bicycling, skateboarding and other sports wherein there is a strong chance for contact with other participants or hard surfaces.
WHY SHOULD I WEAR A MOUTHGUARD?
A Mouthguard can prevent serious injuries such as broken teeth, jaw fractures, cerebral hemorrhage and neck injuries by helping to avoid situations where the lower jaw gets jammed into the upper jaw. It is also effective in preventing laceration and bruising of the lips and cheeks, especially for those who wear orthodontic braces.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE FOR A MOUTHGUARD
- Wash it with soap and cool water
- Soak your mouthguard in mouthwash before storing
- Wipe your mouthguard dry and store in a plastic storage box away from heat when not in use.
TYPES OF MOUTHGUARDS
- Stock Mouthguard – is a ready-made, stock item, which offers the lowest cost but the least protection. This is not considered acceptable as a facial protective device.
- Mouth-Formed Mouthguard – There are 2 different types, an acrylic and a thermoplastic material. This can be bought over the counter and patients do it themselves by following the products instruction without a professional help which may impair the function.
- Custom-Made Mouthguard – This is the Best choice. It is made by your Dentist to offer the best protection, fit and comfort level because it is fabricated from a cast/ mold to fit your teeth.